Medsphere’s OpenVista® electronic health record (EHR) is a fully-integrated, patient-centered enterprise solution that supports all clinical and ancillary services. The OpenVista solution comprises foundational applications that support clinical, ancillary and nutritional service workflows for acute, ambulatory, mental health and long-term care facilities. A suite of financial management applications make OpenVista the comprehensive healthcare IT system every hospital can afford.
Equally comprehensive but more readily available, OpenVista Cloud is a software as a service (SaaS) offering of the solution that enables simple deployment with no capital investment or advanced IT staffing skills required. Medsphere's cloud-based clinical platform enables better care through an affordable subscription service while removing the burden of local data centers and system management from hospital IT administrators.
OpenVista Cloud ensures enterprise-grade security and availability. The solution is completely fault tolerant, highly available and includes a 99.99 percent uptime guarantee.
- Medsphere builds OpenVista Cloud on the sterling reputation of Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- High availability and disaster recovery (DR) features are included in the subscription.
- OpenVista Cloud uses an active/standby model for all components. Designated production and disaster recovery
environments are geographically and technologically separate.
- Data security features that meet or exceed HIPAA/HITECH standards free up the healthcare provider to focus on patient care.
- Available AWS regions include Northern California, Northern Virginia and Ohio. The production site is determined through pre-deployment analysis of specific customer needs.
- All facilities operate in alignment with Tier III+ guidelines.
- All resources are completely elastic. With any change in requirements or scope, Medsphere provides additional resources to ensure the application meets customer needs.
All connectivity to the production and backup environments is provided via LAN-to-LAN IPSEC virtual private networks (VPNs) using current cryptographic standards (typically AES-256). Each facility connects to environments separately, so an outage at one facility does not impact others. Internet circuits are configured with diversified carriers to ensure availability; all adhere to our standard 99.99 percent uptime service level agreement.
All OpenVista components are provided to end users through an optimized application delivery system managed and maintained by Medsphere.
- OpenVista Cloud is accessible from a standard web browser or a proprietary client.
- Two-factor authentication is enforced for all client sessions.
- Medsphere provides all account and security set up and management.
- The OpenVista client works with most operating systems (Windows, Mac OS X, iOS, Android, etc.).
All critical data is replicated in real-time from the production site to the disaster recovery environment via dedicated internal VPN tunnels.
- Replicated user accounts/permissions ensure full functionality and access in the event of an unplanned outage.
- Replicated databases and flat files ensure a recovery point objective of zero.
Medsphere's multi-layered backup strategy guarantees that all critical data is readily available for restoration processes.
- Hourly snapshot-based, whole-image backups, which are immediately moved to the disaster recovery site, allow for restoration in minutes instead of hours.
- Nightly integrated backup captures all files necessary to completely restore OpenVista by condensing all necessary data into a single file for maximum portability.
- Daily file-based backups to various tertiary locations outside of AWS primary & DR sites (in accordance with HIPAA / HITECH) ensure that data is available in the event of a disaster.
- Security log data such as logins, access and audit data are retained for a period of six years.
- All backup files are encrypted using at least AES-256 in both transit and at rest.
High Availability and Disaster Recovery
OpenVista Cloud works in an active/standby configuration. To ensure no loss of data, some manual intervention is required in the event of a complete failover to the disaster recovery site. Recovery takes just a few moments.
To protect data at rest, Medsphere encrypts the entire underlying file system for all OpenVista Cloud components using FIPS 140-2 compliant encryption. All data transmitted to and from OpenVista--to client applications, the DR site, offsite backups, and to/from devices at client sites--is protected using various means of transport-layer encryption (HTTPS, IPSEC VPN).